The Club House has some handy resources when it comes to Risk Management and Workplace Health & Safety.
Marsh defines risk as the “possibility that something might happen that will affect your club or others associated with your club”.
The technical meaning (according to Standards Australia) is “the chance of something happening that will have an impact upon objectives. It is measured in terms of consequences and likelihood.” AS/NZS 4360:1999.
Most people associate risk with negative or hazardous situations. In fact, Marsh Sport describes that risks can be both negative and positive.
Here is an example of a negative and a positive risk…
- Negative Risk: A decline in your club’s membership by more than 20 members
- Positive Risk: An increase in your club’s membership by more than 20 members
For more information, see the Risk Management resources available below:
Open Water Swimming Risk Assessment Template – view our Race Secretary resources
Online Risk Management module – click on the Risk Management tab and log in to the Marsh website to complete this module
Work Health and Safety Resources
Safe Work Australia www.safeworkaustralia.gov.au
- Volunteer area – http://www.safeworkaustralia.gov.au/sites/swa/model-whs-laws/guidance/volunteers/pages/voluntee
- Volunteer Resource Kit – http://www.safeworkaustralia.gov.au/sites/swa/model-whs-laws/guidance/volunteers/kit/pages/default
- Volunteer area – http://www.workcover.nsw.gov.au/law-and-policy/volunteering/volunteers-and-volunteer-organisations
WorkCover Small Business website http://www.smallbusiness.workcover.nsw.gov.au/Pages/Home.aspx
- this is actually a more useful resource for sport at the local level, as it presents WHS in simple and practical terms.
Support and Advice
- WorkCover info line 13 10 50
- WorkCover NSW Advisory visits – free service to help you get compliant.
- WorkCover NSW presentations – free workshops on WHS changes.
- Safe Work Australia Volunteer Assistance Line (02) 6240 4990
Sample Policies / Programs
- Surf Life Saving NSW (SLSNSW) education DVD for clubs, available on You Tube. View now
There are a number of private providers offering WHS training
- Courtenell www.courtenell.com.au – Helen Webb from Gymnastics NSW attended the five-day Health and Safety training course offered by this organisation
- School of Volunteering Management – WHS workshops www.svm.edu.au/public/workshops
- WorkCover NSW training materials – available online http://www.workcover.nsw.gov.au/lawpolicy/Policiesreasearchgrants/grants/Pages/default.aspx